Home Feature Abuja collapsed building: 2 more corpses found

Abuja collapsed building: 2 more corpses found

3
0

Two more dead bodies have been found on the site of the collapsed building in Abuja following resumed rescue operations ordered by the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Mr Muhammad Bello.

An uncompleted four-storey building near the popular Jabi Motor Park fell down on Friday, burying workers in a massive rubble.

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Saturday said it had completed rescue operations on the site despite complaints from witnesses of the incident.

According to the minister, “directing the rescue team back to site was as a result of strong concerns that there could still be people under the rubble.”

It was as a result of the resumed operations that the body of Sadiq Aliu was discovered.

Aliu’s corpse was to be evacuated to the morgue when his relatives rather preferred to proceed to the cemetery for his burial, in accordance with Islamic rites.

The other two fatalities were: Bashiru Mohammed, the site foreman and another young man who is yet to be identified.

The site engineer, Friday Alu is said to be on intensive care at the Cedarcrest Hospital Apo, Abuja.

The minister emphasized the need for a thorough clearance of the entire rubble to ensure that no other body is left in the debris.

More than seven earth moving machines had been engaged in the operations including support equipment from Julius Berger Nigeria Plc.

The Coordinator of the Abuja Metropolitan Management Council (AMMC), Umar Shuaibu indicated that investigations had commenced to unravel the immediate and remote causes of the incident.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here