The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has cleared over 1,000 shanties and illegal structures along a major road corridor in Karsana, near the Bunkoro District of Gwarinpa.
Director of Development Control, Muktar Galadima, who led Monday’s citywide sanitation exercise, said the operation was part of efforts to boost security and restore order in the area. He noted that the demolition targeted makeshift settlements largely occupied by squatters and persons of “questionable character.”
According to him, indigenous homes were spared after consultations with the Department of Resettlement and Compensation, which identified genuine communities along the route.
“Today’s exercise is along the proposed Ring Road 3 corridor at the intersection of N16 and RR3, where we have Mab Global Estate. So far, we’ve cleared more than 1,000 shanties, and work is still ongoing across the two-kilometre stretch,” Galadima said.
He explained that most of the structures pulled down were wooden, temporary shelters that posed safety and environmental concerns.
Also speaking, FCTA Director of Security Services Development, Adamu Gwary — represented by Dr. Peter Olumuji — stressed the security implications of illegal shanties, noting that criminal elements often hide behind such settlements to launch attacks.
Nearby estate residents, including those in Mab Global, reportedly welcomed the demolition, citing safety concerns.
The joint task force said the clean-up would continue in other parts of the FCT, alongside a clampdown on vehicles with tinted windows — many of which authorities claim carry forged permits and are linked to “one-chance” robbery gangs.